Sign up to make the Internet a right!
The Internet can't be a luxury item. Sign up to make the Internet a right!
In the "new normality", access to the Internet and digital literacy have become the essential pillars for the exercise of fundamental rights and freedoms: the right to work (search, teleworking...), to health (telematic consultations), to education, etc.
Nowadays, asking for help and protection against male chauvinist abuse is easier, thanks to mobile applications, websites or online chats.
However, if a person does not have an Internet connection or does not know how to use the technology, they are left outside the system and cannot exercise their rights. According to Unicef, in Spain, 100,000 households do not have access to the Internet due to lack of economic resources, which also limits them to acquiring the necessary tools to integrate into the digital world. They are "precarious households", with less than 900 euros of monthly income.
During the covid pandemic, the most vulnerable social groups have experienced first-hand the limitations that this digital divide imposes on their lives. The information to access social benefits, subsidies, to the Minimum Vital Income , could be consulted, from a mobile phone with data because they were on the Internet but for many people the Internet is a luxury item.
A group of NGOs, led by the "Association for you woman", have joined to ask the Spanish Government, regional institutions and other competent institutions, to take concrete steps to eliminate the digital divide:
- Public Wi-Fi, free of charge with better quality and coverage, in all cities and municipalities.
- Programs of subsidies or bonds for the acquisition of devices with Internet connection, for people in situations of economic difficulty; because in addition to terminals, connections are needed "with data".
- Loan services of equipment (such as computers or tablets) to public schools, adult education centres, drop-in centres and NGDOs working with vulnerable people that can lend them to users.
- Strengthening digital education for adults and for especially vulnerable groups. With free care and training for people at risk of social exclusion, reducing waiting times for advice ...
- Women facing the gender digital divide
- Migrant families and individuals
- Ensure that all applicants for asylum in reception centres have access to an internet connection and to the appropriate devices to achieve this
- That all measures to eliminate the digital divide should have a cross-cutting gender approach.
This cause is open to all NGOs and social organizations that share its purpose and want to mobilize citizens. If your social organization wants to support this manifesto and this cause, you can sign up here.
The Internet must be a fundamental element within the reach of all social groups. It has to be one more right, like the right to education, decent work, leisure and culture, non-discrimination, etc. Everyone has the same right to access the Internet, and this must be guaranteed under equal conditions.
Sign up! To democratize access to the Internet, breaking down the economic and social barriers that prevent connection to the digital world.